Re: Re: simple "advanced" score file is apparently ignored (and Gnus

From: Anonymous
Subject: Re: Re: simple "advanced" score file is apparently ignored (and Gnus
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 03:15:02 -0600

>The structure of my ~/News/all.SCORE looks like this:

Thanks.

>You can cause the global score file to be reloaded by using W f in the
>*Group* buffer.

Very useful.  I've been restarting repeatedly as I build the score
file.. this will save me some time.

>(I've never tried anything in the Advanced category.)

My end game is to mirror the slrn score file, which is quite powerful.
This forced me down the path of the advanced format in Gnus.  It was
quite confusing at first because there's a temptation to combine
constructs and features from the advanced rules and the simple rules,
which turns out to be impossible.  It turns out the scores cannot be
influenced in each match criteria and also the whole rule -- it's one
or the other.  E.g., this does *not* work:

  ((&
    ("xref"    "some-group" 50 nil s)
    ("subject" "some-topic" 20 nil s))
   200)

The other major stumbling block to understanding the scoring is that
the simple rule format has an extra set of a paranthesis to group the
match type with the match string.  E.g., this:

    ("subject" ("some-topic" 20 nil s))
 vs.
    ("subject" "some-topic" s)

It took me hours to discover that inconsistency (amid other
differences between the two formats).  Was painful.

In the end, the Gnus score file is certainly less readable than slrn
with a very unforgiving parser, but it seems to have the same
capability.

So I finally got something working.  If anyone wants to see a complete
example of an advanced score file, I have pasted one below because the
manual does not have one, and web searches come up dry on this.

In this example, the first rule gives a high score to articles
appearing in newsgroups with "android" or "mobile" in the name, and
with a subject matter being multi-sim phones, or a Galaxy S Duo in
particular.

The second rule is designed to give a high score to airports of
interest in the
nntp+news.gmane.org:gwene.com.flyertalk.mileage-run.deals newsgroup.

(
 ((&
   (|
    ("xref" "droid"  S)