Re: gnus-no-server and startup level

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: gnus-no-server and startup level
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:26:17 +0300

> So gnus-no-server starts gnus at level 2, and that is why I do not see
> my nnfolders.

Thinking about this overnight I came up with an idea. Since
gnus-no-server needs to be started at level 2 for legacy reasons, but
there seems to be more than one person who would want it to start with
the default level setup, could we not have a boolean variable for this?
Something like

gnus-no-server-startup-level-default-subscribed-minus-1

whose default value would be t for legacy reasons. Setting this to nil
would mean that gnus-no-server would not enforce a startup level, nor
would it set gnus-group-use-permanent-levels. This would imply minor
changes in the following function; I can try to send a patch later if
need be:

;; ------------------------------------------------------------------
(defun gnus-no-server-1 (&optional arg slave)
  "Read network news.
If ARG is a positive number, Gnus will use that as the startup
level.  If ARG is nil, Gnus will be started at level 2
\(`gnus-level-default-subscribed' minus one).  If ARG is non-nil
and not a positive number, Gnus will prompt the user for the name
of an NNTP server to use.  As opposed to \\[gnus], this command
will not connect to the local server."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((val (or arg (1- gnus-level-default-subscribed))))
    (gnus val t slave)
    (make-local-variable 'gnus-group-use-permanent-levels)
    (setq gnus-group-use-permanent-levels val)))

The problem with the current "solution" - setting
gnus-level-default-subscribed - is that, first, it messes the value of
that variable and, second, gnus-group-use-permanent-levels is still set,
which affects the visibility of groups.

--

Jarmo