Re: Sometimes problem when posting to aioe

From: William Gardella
Subject: Re: Sometimes problem when posting to aioe
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 00:25:51 -0400

Hi Cecil,

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> I experimented with this and now both do not work. (news and nntp) For
> the time being I am using another (free) news-server. Now all the
> messages where unread again, because this was the first time I used
> it. :-{
>
> The problem is (I think) that aioe does not allow more as 400
> connections a day. Could it be that when I am busy I exceed this limit
> and are banned for some time? I was trying the different possibilities
> and this made me exceed the limit for nntp and now I am banned from
> both I am afraid.
>
> I December I properly change from internet server provider. Maybe I
> should take a subscription on there news-server also.

If you are often hitting aioe's daily connection limit, perhaps it is
time to try using the agent features of Gnus (info "(gnus) Gnus
Unplugged").  With the Gnus agent, you can slurp up a large number of
articles at one time for local reading, thus using fewer connections.
Aioe seems to like its users to do this
(http://aioe.org/index.php?terms-of-use#d4):

> 4. Suck feeds
>
> Public news servers have got the main disadvantage to be slower than
> commercial sites when a huge number of article is requested. Those who
> need more speed often set up a local news server and configure an
> external program to download the articles from a real remote news
> server. This process is usually called suck feed. An online tutorial
> explains how to setup it with suck. Aioe.org allows and encourage this
> behaviour with the only limit of 400 connections per day.

The Gnus agent is a bit like a mini-suck, downloading stuff to
`gnus-directory' instead of to the news spool of a "real" local news
server like leafnode.

To try using the agent, set it up with J c from the *Group* buffer, then
slurp up a bunch of articles with J s, and go into Unplugged mode (J
j).  Then you can read all the subscribed articles at your leisure
without incurring new connections on aioe's limit, and replies/posts
will be queued until you re-engage Plugged mode and can send them.  I
find this pretty useful for reducing distraction temptations from new
email, too. :-|

Hope that helps,
WGG

--