Changes in emacs.el

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Changes in emacs.el
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:06:15 +0100

I made an earlier comment about this, but I did some investigation
now.

Sometimes I get a message that .emacs is read-only. This is true,
because it is a link to an emacs.el file that is owned by root and
read-only for the user.
I get the question: do you want to write? If I say yes, it fails and
my message/article is not send. If I say no it is also not send.

I could live with it, because when I try to send it again, it
succeeds. But annoying it is.

When looking more closely I found that two things are changed.

I have a custom-set-variables section and beside changing the sequence
it adds (beside other things):
      ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
     '(canlock-password "…")
     '(delete-selection-mode nil)
     '(mark-even-if-inactive t)

It also adds:
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

I do not have a custom-set-faces in the emacs.el.

Why does emacs tries to change .emacs and can I circumvebt this?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer