Error in nnimap-open-connection-1 when using nnimap-stream plain

From: Burton Samograd
Subject: Error in nnimap-open-connection-1 when using nnimap-stream plain
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:57:09 -0700

Hello,

When I use the following select method:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "localhost"
                                  (nnimap-address "localhost")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 1143)
                                  (nnimap-stream plain)))

I get a "wrong type argument: string nil" message when running gnus.
Tracking this down lead me into nnimap-open-connection-1, where it
doesn't look like capabilities are set when using nnimap-stream plain
(or maybe some other reason).

I fixed it by wrapping the mapcar #'upcase with an if statement
(starting at line 433 of my gnus sources in nnimap.el):

            (setf (nnimap-capabilities nnimap-object)
                  (if capabilities
                    (mapcar #'upcase
                            (split-string capabilities))
                    ""))

The original code was:

            (setf (nnimap-capabilities nnimap-object)
            (mapcar #'upcase
                            (split-string capabilities)))

which error'd out when capabilities was nil.

I'm not sure if this is a proper fix, but it got me a bit further into
what I was trying to do, which as attempt to use Davmail to connect to
an exchange server.

--
Burton Samograd