RSS article with images from blogger causes Gnus to hang

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: RSS article with images from blogger causes Gnus to hang
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 23:07:38 +0530

I've subscribed to the news.gwene.org r-bloggers newsfeed and I've
noticed that if the article links to blogspot.com png image, gnus
kicks off an openssl client call on port 80 and it becomes
unresponsive.  C-g doesn't work and I'm forced to terminate Emacs 24.3
on Win 7.  I also have cygwin installed which has openssl which works
fine with Emacs I think, as I believe that connects to gmail to fetch
my emails.

Why are ssl calls triggered for blogger sites and how do I make it go
away or make Gnus give up if it doesn't connect?

 sivaram