Re: beginner splitting mail

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: beginner splitting mail
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 16:06:22 +0200

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

>> Some comments: 1. ("emacs" "^From:.*emacs") Is it
>> smarter to base that on *subject*? As in mine:
>> ("emacs-w3m" "^Subject:.*emacs-w3m.*") Also note the
>> .* after the string.  (But this may be your
>> situation that is different, just sayin'.)
>
> I thought "from" would work best--if a news item is
> from gmane.emacs.gnus.user, then it would go to the
> "emacs" group. But something like this post, with the
> subject "beginner splitting mail" would not be caught
> by an "emacs" "^Subject" designation, unless I'm
> misunderstanding how that works? (very likely!)

No, you are right - in my case, there is a listbot for
Emacs-w3m, and they always put "emacs-w3m" in the
subject!

So for groups, your solution might makes sense, but
then again:

1) Don't you still need the closing .* after "emacs" to
match gmane.emacs.gnus.user? (Not a rhetorical
question.)

2) Do you really get the group in the From: header?
(Ditto.) Compare how I got your post:

From: Steven Arntson <x@y.z>
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus

3) Perhaps it is easier to just *keep* the groups -
they are already groups! I don't think it makes sense
to mix gnu.emacs.help, gnu.emacs.gnus,
gnu.emacs.sources, etc., just because they deal with
Emacs. Those distinctions help you keep a clear head.

4) If you would like some order that the original
Usenet group hierarchies can't provide, you can group
groups with labels (or topics, I don't do this, so I
don't know the correct terminology). That what, you'd
keep some order if you have tons of groups, but on a
closer look, the groups would still be distinct.

> 2. How to save you own mails - this works for me:
>> (setq gnus-message-archive-group '("nnml:mail.sent") )
>
> I added this to my .gnus.el--thank you. But no results
> yet. (see below?)

You are able to read Usenet, but not mail? Or are you
able to read both, just splitting ain't working?

>> 3. Why it doesn't work at all - did you specify that
>> you use nnml? I have: (setq
>> gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
>> mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent read-mail-command
>> 'gnus)
>
> I wonder if my troubles lie here. My .gnus.el file is
> cobbled from various sources, and I am illiterate
> regarding its meaning. The relevant (I think) portion
> I have is:
>
> ;;init stuff (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp
> "news.gwene.org")) (add-to-list
> gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
> (add-to-list gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmbox
> "" (nnmbox-mbox-file "~/MAIL") (nnmbox-active-file
> "~/Mail.active"))) (setq mail-sources '((pop :server
> "my.server.com" :user "me@mywebsite.com")))

Someone else will have to fill you in on the exact
workings of this. Aren't nnml and nnmbox different
backends for mail on Unix systems?

This is a good text, but might be too technical and not
enough practical at this stage - anyway, keep it as a
bookmark:

http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_202.html

Hunch: focus on either nnml or nnmbox.

>> 4. Check out how I did it here -
>> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/gnus.el
>> - it might help you. And if you or anyone else sees
>> something inadvisable, do tell...  Good luck!
>
> I have a lot to learn...

Yeah, but don't get overwhelmed. It is just like in
boxing, it doesn't matter how far behind you are on the
scorecards, you can only land one punch at a time
anyway. In time, it'll be enough if you acquire a
single new piece of knowledge every day (= 365 items in
a year!).

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573