Re: What happened to nnslashdot and nnultimate

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: What happened to nnslashdot and nnultimate
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:07:53 +0200

> Webscraping forum-sites is a lot of work, as you have to keep up with
> every little change.

yes but they did it in the past, was it at that point in time easier?

> The websites that are making money on advertising probably don't have
> much incentive to not break access methods that effectively bypass their
> income.

yes so conzentrate first on the pages who arent owned by unmoralic
companies, I guess slashdot could be such site, and also something like
phoronix.com should be stable enough taht not all 2 days web interface change.

that does not work against addblocks too, so thats no real answer if
they cant hinder the 90% people which use adblocks they will not care
about the 1% emacs users.

And another thing I get that nobody takes the time to support 100
differently random sites, that change here and there, but as example
with wordpress blog feature u would have one module for 99% of the blogs
so u had to support only one modul. Or some forum types I would even
have a use case for MyBB Forums, such software does only get a patch
every 1000 years so it would be also easy to support and u would support
thousends of sites with one modul.

> Oh, and people who use such systems are probably not the most
> forgiving/grateful people you can find. I suspect they are likely to
> bitch and moan, rather than do some work to solve the problem
> themselves.

Sorry dont take a bit of trolling from me personal, its just a good
technic to get some reactions / answers. And also to release some
frustration this garbage browsers generate onto everybody.

> 99% of the net population think it is good enough/don't care?

Most of the time there are no alternatives, so they only have the choice
to not write in forums or use that web ui, or do u have some data that
shows that people are happy or dont care about that issue, that some
people that are no developers what should be 90% dont do something about
it, doesnt mean they dont care about it, they just dont care so much
about it that they make a diploma in computer science or at least invest
100 hours to learn the skills to do that, if not more.

> Someone recently suggested that apps were nice for corporations like
> that because you can do anything with the users data, where browsers
> have at least some amount of user-centric protection.

Hmm, still both exists, facebook webinterface for mobile and the app
same with twitter, so not evil companies forced their users to use
these apps, the users like it better. So they do care, at least enough
to install and setup apps 10 minutes.

But if u messure how much users care, u should maybe shut down gnus too,
because 99% of the users dont care about gnus. Or emacs, 99% of the
people wordwide dont use emacs. its not always a question of the
quantity, also about the quality.

> I can speculate on why they were removed, if you really want: The code
> did not work anymore, and nobody was interested enough in the
> functionality to step up and fix it.

I just cant belive that all my problems are special to me, we have 7
Billion people on the world, so am I really the only person with that
problem.

Like u said tapatalk is proprietary and facebook app too so its no real
option, and u have the problem not fully solved too, because each apps
works slithly different.

> Maybe people interested in slashdot comments are more interested in
> ranting than doing work fixing code?

Lol normaly I dont use slashdot, it seemed to me only the most common
news site for technical people, and there was a backend.

> Maybe the answer is to spend the time doing something else? :-)

Maybe not, do u not comment on political stuff never when somebody
trolls u dont answer to him? :)

I just dont see mailing lists a complete replacement for news sites. But
if you say taht gnus users only use mailing lists and never open news
sites and never comment on youtube videos, I search on gwene or gmane if
I found there some newsgroups where I can answer to current news and try
to use them.

just looked again u cant answer to newsticker mailing lists... from
gwene or gmene, so we are back to tv time where u only get oneway brain
washing tv without possibility to argue against it, so that others have
achange to read the througth.

>   Best regards,

Stefan

p.s. I just find it odd that gnus has regressions, is it a dying project
taht each day has less users or do people nowadays not do such stuff that
they could do in the past with gnus with another newsreader, or did they
all quit using emacs?

at least we get now in emacs 24.4 a modern textbased browser maybe with
that some forum modules re appear.