Re: group splitting and gnus-secondary-select-methods

From: Christoph Groth
Subject: Re: group splitting and gnus-secondary-select-methods
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 20:34:50 +0200

Eric, Emanuel,

Thank you for the quick replies! Perhaps I haven't been clear: when I said that I'm trying to setup "group mail splitting" I didn't mean plain mail splitting (I have been using that one since the begin of the century or so), I meant what the Gnus manual calls "group mail splitting" (there's a section on it). Gnus has functionality to generate fancy splitting rules automatically for groups that contain 'to-list' or 'to-address' parameters. If you have defined these parameters for some groups and evaluate (gnus-group-split-fancy), you'll get a split that can be assigned to the variable nnimap-split-fancy.

So far so good, the only problem is that at the time that ~/.gnus gets executed, (gnus-group-split-fancy) returns an empty split '(&)'. You can see this by putting
(setq my-group-split-fancy-result (gnus-group-split-fancy))
in your ~/.gnus and examining the variable. It seems to me that this is because when it executes its configuration file, Gnus doesn't yet know what groups there are.

That's why I've been using hooks to set the variable gnus-secondary-select-methods. Gnus has some functionality to setup hooks for group mail splitting by itself, but this doesn't cover multiple select methods.

The hooks that I've found (gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook and gnus-get-new-news-hook), but I'm not sure whether that's the best way to setup things. And if it is, it should be maybe added to the manual.

Christoph