imap server upgrade, nnir fails?

From: Gijs Hillenius
Subject: imap server upgrade, nnir fails?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 17:42:50 +0200

Earlier today I upgraded my server from Jessie (8) to Stretch (9). There
were a few minor issues, to do with the change from cyrus 2.4 to 2.5.

One thing I notice (now) is that searching with nnir in the Gnus group
buffer (GG on a group) is only taking into account the email that
arrived since the upgrade, it is not looking at any of the old
messages.

What did I miss?