info-mtools

[mtools] Re: 'mformat' .vs. 'mkfs.vfat' on 230Mb MO

From: Hodek Roman
Subject: [mtools] Re: 'mformat' .vs. 'mkfs.vfat' on 230Mb MO
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:28:14 +0100 (MET)

> It seems, I have found the source of difference. Nor 'mformat' nor
> 'mksfs.vfat' can't determine _real_ Geometry of SCSI MO.

Sure... it's a SCSI disk, so it has no geometry. C/H/S geometries have
been invented by ancient IDE and PC BIOSes, SCSI never had that
concept and used the same thing known als LBA in the IDE world from
the beginning... :)

But the SCSI host adapter driver has to report a geometry, so it
either reports some default one, or tries to determine it from the
partition table, or something else... But it never can be a real
geometry.

> It seems, it's more close to reality (no geometry translation), the
> real Fujitsu drive has only _1_ head. :-)

There's no such thing as a "real geometry", even for IDE disks (at
least ones not older than 8 years). All of them use a different number
of sectors depending on the track number, but hide that from the
interface. But IDE drives were forced to report some geometry by the
ATA interface. But also this geometry is virtual (though software
can't tell the difference...)

Roman