info-mtools

Re: [Info-mtools] Incorrect assignment of partition type in mformat/mpar

From: Dagobert Michelsen
Subject: Re: [Info-mtools] Incorrect assignment of partition type in mformat/mpartition
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 08:15:03 +0200

Hi folks,

Am 25.09.2018 um 23:51 schrieb Pali Rohár <address@hidden>:
> Here it is:
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/140365/default-cluster-size-for-ntfs-fat-and-exfat
>
> FAT16 has support for disks > 4GB on Windows NT 4.0.
>
> Other Windowses, including Windows 2000, do not support it according to
> that table. And your link where you found limit to 4GB is for Windows
> 2000 system.
>
> So I would suggest to just stick with CHS track condition. And allow
> sizes also above 4GB.

May I suggest to add all these sizes and documented sources for the values
to the README or the manpage? That way it can be helpful for anyone wondering
next time what limits are there and why.

Best regards

  — Dago

--
"You don't become great by trying to be great, you become great by wanting to
do something,