info-sather

Re: Some thoughts about Sather

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about Sather
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:41:10 +0100

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 06:23:51PM +1300, Keith Hopper wrote:
> In article
> <address@hidden>,
>    Kipton M Barros <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > It took me a while to figure out what you meant by this.  Is the comment
> > syntax "(* ... *)" not currently in the ICSI spec?
>
>      No!  It is usable in module files so far as I am aware - but, to be
> honest, I like the Ada-style commenting!

IMO, it should simply be added to the spec. AFAIK, it is implemented anyway in
the currect compiler.

Reason: Of course, -- style comments are more elegant, but it happens quite
often that one needs to comment out part of the code during development and
testing. The best way for that would be a (minimal and clean!) set of
preprocessor directives, but (* *) style comments (perhaps even nestable) are
the minimum that is needed.

>  - - C - h - a - n - g - e - - - o - f - - - s - u - b - j - e - c - t - -
>
>      I am therefore looking, not at anyone in particular, for a kind
> person who is rather cleverer and more knowledgeable about mathematics than
> I am. I'm a retread electronic engineer by default - so I know most
> engineering maths pretty well (I think!) - but not the higher regions of
> numbers and number theory.
>
>      Anyone who feels able to help so that I can get something on the web
> before Christmas will be most welcome - I just have two files which need
> reviewing carefully before I go into 'print' in the specification - all of
> the abstract classes.  Help! Please?

I do not know how deep the knowledge needs to be. I'm student in Physics, but I
have spent some time on abstract maths (algebra etc.) as well. Might just take
a look at the stuff to decide whether I can help.

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!