info-sather

Re: Web sites...

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: Web sites...
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:32:14 +0100

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 09:21:39PM +1030, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:
> In the meantime, 1.2 may be a feasible point
> of departure for some (eventual) other team.  It doesn't seem usual
> for the FSF to remove the previous version from the GNU sites when a
> new one comes along, and I wonder why it is being done in the case of
> Sather.

I do not know, what you are talking about: Version 1.2.1 is up for download on
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/sather just as it was since it was placed there. Whoever wants
to branch off development from that version is explicitely allowed to do so by
the GPL/LGPL. Anyway, I do not believe it would be worth the effort. There
certainly are points in the new library I would have done differently. (I had
my arguments with Keith on those topics several times...) but looking at the
new library as a whole, I'm sure I could never have come anywhere near the
quality and completeness it has now.

As for the talk about the FSF: At the moment, I am the only one who does any
changes to the GNU-Sather site at all. I can not guarantee that everything I do
is conformant to GNU standards, but at least I try to go that way. In this
special case, it would be recommended not to try to provide every single patch
level, but, of course, the latest version of the 1.2 line stay there for
download, and, if anybody cares to provide support for that line, I will
happily put up bugfix-releases 1.2.2 and so on. (Although I'm not willing to
put much time into that myself.)

> And, because Nobbi or Keith wanted to know, I _did_ have a tiny
> problem (with signal.h) compiling 1.3.b7 on Linux 2.4.0-test9.  Diffs
> (v. rough hack to get it to compile) follow.  Ignore the
> <bits/signum.h> line, which didn't solve the problem.  Possibly this
> problem has gone away with the latest Linux kernels.

Does not seem to be a question of the kernel-version: glibc 2.2.1 does contain
/usr/include/bits/signum.h which has '#define SIGSYS 31' and is included via
<signal.h>

Ciao,
Nobbi

--