info-sather

Re: Second call: New project leader needed for GNU Sather

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: Second call: New project leader needed for GNU Sather
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:59:04 +0200

Hey, great! That means we already have two candidates for the job. To me, John
Meacham and Jeff Reagan seem about equally qualified and a general lack of time
seems more like a good sign of qualification for a project leader...

The idea of setting up sourceforge hosting is something I do not really want to
decide. In general, GNU offers all the resources as well - I just never got to
make use of them all. On the other hand: administration is certainly somewhat
simpler and more straighforward at sourceforge. Still, the question remains,
whether Sather should stay a GNU project. This would be independent of the
location of development, but it has some consequences:

* GNU certainly is something like a brand-name in free software. It may have
lost some of it's value over the past years, but it still is something people
will recognise at the first glance.

* Promising this quality in the name also means that the distribution will have
to meet certain standards: Licensing has do be done cleanly, configuration and
installation have to be done in a certain way, and many more. Right now, the
distribution is still far from there, although I tried to clean it up for two
years now.
In general, it certainly is a good idea to try to follow these standards for
every project, but in being a GNU-project, there is some kind of responsibility
to actually do so. In an independant project, it is really up to the
developers to decide how disciplined they want to work.

Two years ago, I moved Sather into GNU without much knowledge of what that all
would mean. I do not know how I would decide today, but I never touched that
situation and tried to do the best I could. Maybe it is now the time to
reconsider the possibilities.

----------------

Now, how to proceed from here? As I said, both of you, John and Jeff, seem to
have
about the same qualifications, maybe you could even combine your efforts, but
I'd really leave it to you yourselves to decide about that. We should probably
still leave a little time for discussion and comments from others in the
newsgroup before any action is taken, but it should not last too long.

I do not believe that there is any point in waiting for the stable release of
the library before the site can be set up and maybe even CVS could be tested
out already. But this is all to be decided by you, guys, now.

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!