interopcast-general

Re: [Interopcast-general] about translating documentation.

From: Michael Smith
Subject: Re: [Interopcast-general] about translating documentation.
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:45:25 +1000

On Thursday 31 July 2003 10:56, Pierre Jarillon wrote:
> First, can you test interopcast ? On the CVS
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/interopcast/ENSEIRB/icecast/icec
>ast/ See http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=interopcast
>
> interopcast is an improvement of icecast2. We wrote to the author but he
> doesn't reply to the last mails and don't use the job we did.

I'm sorry for not replying to your mail - I moved recently, around the time
you were corresponding with me, and didn't have regular internet access for a
while (and still don't at home, which is where all my old mail is...)

My intent was definately not to ignore you and your contributions - if you got
that impression, I'm very sorry.

> We don't wish a fork, but I fear to make it necessary.
> I am sure that Michael Smith don't like to write a documentation as
> he don't like comments in the sources. So, you can translate the
> documentation.

I think that's rather unfair. Yes, I don't particularly enjoy writing
documentation (I have pretty limited time at the moment to spend on icecast,
and documentation isn't my (personal) top priority), but "don't like comments
in the sources" is simply untrue and totally unsubstantiated.

More complete function documentation in the icecast sources would be a
worthwhile goal, as it would help new developers getting up to speed - but
this is the first time I've heard any complaints about the degree to which
the code itself is commented.

User/Admin documentation, on the other hand, is something that we desperately
need. I really do want to try and integrate the documentation you and your
students have written, but it's difficult - you haven't exactly gone to a lot
of effort to send the icecast developers patches. It's also (taking a quick
look at your cvs repository) looking quite difficult to just mass-merge
everything from your sources, since you've reorganised everything.

I'm _very_ interested in getting your documentation into mainline icecast, and
merging back those code changes you've made that are appropriate.

Please, contribute to the icecast-dev list! We're very happy to take
contributions of any sort.

Mike