jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] chroot Jail for Python

From: Gregory Piñero
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] chroot Jail for Python
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 18:29:35 -0400

On 6/5/07, Olivier Sessink <address@hidden> wrote:
Gregory Piñero wrote:
> On 6/5/07, Olivier Sessink <address@hidden> wrote:
>> just move into the jailkit directory, and run `autoconf && ./configure
>> && make`
>> than run as root 'make install'
>> that will give you the latest jailkit development version
>
> I'll do this on my home computer to test it.  When I'm ready to move
> it to my web host (I don't have root access), can I still build, etc
> it there?  Any advice on that?

you need root access to install Jailkit...!?!

You wrote "than run as root 'make install'", so I figured I did need
root access to install it, right?

> I saw a program called "fakechroot"
> (http://fakechroot.alioth.debian.org/), would this make that
> uneccesary then?  Would you say jk_uchroot does the same thing?

fakeroot is a Debian utility to create packages. It does not help you in
  any way to  create a chroot, or to isolate processes for security. So
jk_uchroot is very different from fakeroot.

Well, there's a fakeroot (that you're talking about) and then there's
a fakeCHroot which is the one I was talking about.  See what you think
about the one I'm talking about: http://fakechroot.alioth.debian.org ?

regards,
        Olivier