jailkit-users

[Jailkit-users] tomcat accessing jailed users home directory...group per

From: Ryan Wexler
Subject: [Jailkit-users] tomcat accessing jailed users home directory...group permissions?
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:07:46 -0800

First off I am not a linux user permissions expert so maybe I missing
something obvious.

On my centos 5.2 server I have installed jailkit and tomcat 6.  I
jailed several users.  I have given the users access to sftp and I
have tested this and it works fine.  The problem I am having is the
tomcat application needs to be able to save files in the jailed users
home directory.  This works if I run tomcat as root, but when I run
tomcat with the tomcat user then, that user of course doesn't have
permission to the jailed user's home directories.

I thought that I could get around this by putting assigning tomcat
user and the jailed users to the same group.  But when I add group
write access to the jailed users home directory then the jailkit
doesn't allow sftp anymore.  Why is this?  Is there a way to get
around this while still retaining my jails and not running tomcat
under the root user?

Thanks a bunch
-ryan