jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] JailKit features

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] JailKit features
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:13:57 +0100

On 11/17/2011 08:41 AM, Sam Hon wrote:
Hi all,

I love the work being done on JailKit. My purpose of this email is to
find out in depth what JailKit can offer as an operating system level
virtualization. By OS level virtualization I mean zones or containers
rather than a full OS bootup with hardware emulation.

Jailkit only uses the chroot() system call that is present on many operating systems. The chroot() call just switches the root of the filesystem for a certain process to a give directory. It can, therefore, only limit things hat are dependent on access to certain files (if the file is outside the root, it cannot access it).

You'll need additional measures for other restrictions, such as cgroups, ulimit, firewalls etc.

A full operating-system-level virtualization is OpenVZ, have you looked into that?

Olivier