k3d-dev

Re: [K-3D dev] K-3D news!

From: P. Christeas
Subject: Re: [K-3D dev] K-3D news!
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:51:09 +0300

> P. Christeas wrote:
> > In principle the idea is that such a piece of software is split into two
> > parts: an engine (3d processing) and the frontend. There is a wide range
> > of reasons to do so (I also know the reasons not to).
>
>  From my brief digging around in the K3D codebase:
> The front end/GUI stuff all seems reasonably well abstracted already - I
>   don't think the split you talk about requires a major rewrite, just
> lots of small refactoring operations.
>
> Ben.

Sounds OK (I haven't had the time to examine that).
Do you think that the K3D engine could potentially run *without* the GUI?
Say, could I connect it with a script that will provide the changes/shapes
etc. and just see the result in a custom window?
The conept of 'wearable' frontend would allow other environments to use K3D.