Re: Pthread assumption + starting real port

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: Pthread assumption + starting real port
Date: 16 Nov 2000 11:32:00 +0100

Johan Rydberg <address@hidden> writes:

> [I'm new to this list, but would like to make some comments about
>  messages posted to the list before my subscription]
>
> Niels Möller <address@hidden>:
>
> > ipc_send_1() for sending a single word,
> > ipc_send_7() for sending seven words,
> > ipc_send_4_vm() for sending 4 words and some memory pages.
> >
> > At each use of ipc (in the code), it should be obvious which call to
> > use. On L4/x86, ipc_send_4() would be a macro expanding to something
> > that sends an L4 long message, while on L4/sparc it it would send an
> > L4 short message.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
>
> I really don't think this make sense. It may be the best solution for
> Hurd/L4, but I thought that the reason for libmon was to make GNU/Hurd
> portable to ANY microkernel, correct ?

Well, on a micro kernel that only have a single message send function
that handles all message sizes equally well, all the "ipc_send_N"
functions could macro expand into calls to the same underlying ipc
call. The idea is to privide the "libmom" layer with enough
information for it to be well optimized for a particular micro kernel.
Message size seems like a reasonably generic and useful parameter for
doing that.

/Niels