Re: SawMill Multiserver vs. the Hurd

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: SawMill Multiserver vs. the Hurd
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 22:43:49 +0200

> > People interested in porting the Hurd to L4 are invited to join the
> > address@hidden mailing list. l4-hurd was put on hold some time ago,
> > since we didn't find volunteers with expertise in thread libraries
> > (we need a n:m-multiplexing thread-library for L4), but we should
> > IMHO have a new try at it.
>
> What is the next step. Are we going ahead with the mach server on l4
> or do you have any other plans?
I won't object against implementing the mach server and associated
emulation library (Okuji's idea), at least implementing the subset
of the Mach-API used in the Hurd. This won't be the final solution
(of course), but an excellent exercise for a few core hackers to
get used to the L4-API anyway.

We _could_ start a mach server using L4 native threads, but I'd
strongly recommend to use a pthreads compatible API(-wrapper)
right from the start, so that a future n:m-thread library can be
plugged in subsequently.

> bye,
> pappu.

Regards,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden