Re: Porting the Hurd to VK (Was: running hurd in linux)

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: Re: Porting the Hurd to VK (Was: running hurd in linux)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:27:11 +0200

Farid Hajji wrote:

> > > I think the idea is rather to run Linux with Hurd. For instance you
> > > could boot something like a MkLinux single server under gnuMach
> > > and connect it to ethernet1, com1, tty1, etc, and then also have a
> > > Hurd login on the console.
> > Porting GNU/Hurd to run on top of a virtual kernel (VK) would provide
> > exactly this kind of advantage. Basically, you'll be able to boot the
> > virtual uKernel, either on top of Mach, L4 or even as a server/library
> > on top of Unix. Then, you could boot the Hurd on top of this VK.
> [snip]
> Of course, the other way around as you suggested (MkLinux server on top
> of GNUmach besides the Hurd servers) is also possible. One big problem
> here is how to coordinate access to Mach devices. This is exactly the
> same problem than you face when you run a sub-hurd parallel to the Hurd.
> As long as you use different devices, it should be okay, but as soon
> as you need to access shared devices, things get hairy. Devices with
> likely contention are hd's (even if you use different partitions),
> com? and I/O.

Have heard about user-mode-linux?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/user-mode-linux/
They run a patched kernel as an user process like a sub-hurd. This could
be a point to start and look for experiencies.

Patrick

--
Engineers motto:  cheap  good  fast    choose any two
Patrick Strasser < pstrasser at bigfoot dot com >