Re: status of l4-hurd

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: status of l4-hurd
Date: 04 Sep 2001 00:08:49 +0200

Farid Hajji <address@hidden> writes:

[ about oskit's libc ]

> Of course, read() and write() are supported the traditional way.
> No RPC of any kind here. OSKit's libc is not that different from
> glibc, as far as the API is concerned. As you pointed out, it would
> be necessary to use own logic for read(), write() in any Hurd port.
>
> Where's the problem?

I'm just trying to understand what that libc *does*, and what you
would use it for. Say I write the following ANSI-C program,

  #include <stdio.h>
  #include <stdlib.h>
  int main(int argc, char **argv)
  {
    FILE *f = fopen("/foo", r");
    if (!f)
      return EXIT_FAILURE;

    fputs("Anybody out there?\n", f);
    fclose(f)

    return EXIT_SUCCESS;
  }

and link it with oskit and oskit's libc and startup code (to get it to
run on the bare metal), where will that message end up? Or if it
doesn't work, what parts of the ANSI-C library (and posix) do work?

I thought that things like files and file systems where way up from
the low-level kind of things (mostly hardware abstractions) that is
implemented in the OSKit. But I may have misunderstood it.

(I'm primarily thinking about the case of the OSKit, L4 and Hurd
libraries linked together and running on the real hardware. Emulating
the hardware devices on top of ANSI-C, posix, and a "host OS" is quite
a different story).

/Niels