Re: L4Hurd at Sourceforge

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: L4Hurd at Sourceforge
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 01:53:30 +0200

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 04:06:56PM -0700, Ian Duggan wrote:
> > My religion is against C++. So if there's a decent plain C/assembler
> > alternative, I'd prefer that.
>
> This seems to be a common desire. Which of the C based microkernels is
> the most stable and complete?

I think that is hazelnut (l4ka) if we are talking about ix86. As fiasco
didn't even want to compile, I don't know how stable it is. It seems to
have more code like libraries, but those should be portable right? I
haven't look at it, I don't know if it of any use for us.

> > I think it is desirable to minimize hacking all over the hurd. On the
> > other hand, some components, like libports, will be quite central for
> > the L4 port. So perhaps it makes sense to import it all. An
> > alternative might be to create a branch or something on the official
> > hurd repository.
>
> Agreed. We should closely track changes being made to the Hurd as things
> progress. For convenience, however, we need a sandbox to play in. I was
> thinking we could use the third-party source tracking features of CVS to
> deal with this.

(I'm replying to your other posting at the same time)
I think it's useful. As Neal also said in a reply to your posting about
where the code should go, sourceforgetit is non-free and we should use
savannah instead. I don't know other differences between the two, but
this reason is enough for me.

> > Another module that you'll need is glibc, or at least those parts of
> > it that Farid packaged up as libhurd.
>
> Is it enough to just use the glibc source from Debian? I'm not familier
> with the relationship or how often Hurd dependent stuff gets folded into
> glibc.

There is a lot of hurd dependent code and even more mach dependent code,
we really need a special version of it.

> > And pthreads (I don't remember current status on that).
>
> Pthreads seem to be forever on the TODO list.

I just started learning pthreads Friday and I started looking at the
code today. This will also be intergrated in glibc, if we get our own
cvs copy/branch of glibc I can intergrate it with the current sources
before it's finished if that's desired. When hacking it, I will keep
in mind that it also needs to run on both mach and L4. :)

--
"all the _really_ interesting stuff will be going on in user space."
        --Linus Torvalds