Re: Why savannah? (was L4Hurd at Sourceforge)

From: Ed Page
Subject: Re: Why savannah? (was L4Hurd at Sourceforge)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:19:50 -0700 (PDT)

Moving along and not forcing this project into the preptual planning problem is
nice.  I'm glad to
see things move along even if there isn't code yet.  I am still taking my time
learning this stuff
though.

> My experience is that GPLed software can't be legally linked to or used
> in software licensed under other licenses, due to the "infectious" nature
> of the GPL. The point is that most licenses forbid you to re-license
> software and this includes re-licensing them under GPL. This also
> applies to free software licensed under the very liberal BSD license,
> so using GPLed code in this context is problematic, to say the least.

If I remember right, it has a provision for linking against system code.  Or
else EVERYTHING on
the computer would have to be GPL.

> The situation is not that bad with LGPL, but still not perfect. I wished
> that the Hurd were licensed under LGPL rather than GPL, so that it could
> be combined more easily with other non-[L]GPLed software, without risking
> legal hassle with the FSF or the other license holders. However, I don't
> expect this to happen any time soon.
I find the LGPL to be the best.  I  don';t want someone making money off of me
without the
community benefitting

Just my small little take on the lisence issues.

Ed Page

=====