Re: emulating no-senders notifications in L4?

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: emulating no-senders notifications in L4?
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:14:17 +0100 (CET)

> > When a task dies, its resources need to be all cleaned up.  If it's
> > the last task with the right to send to that port, then a no senders
> > notification should be sent.  If we rely on the task to do so itself,
> > then sometimes it will not happen due to task misbehavior.
> The general idea in L4 is to have a server which creates and deletes
> tasks. This server "owns" the tasks and is the only one allowed to
> execute the task_new syscall for them. L4 tries to keep task allocation
> policy out of the kernel allowing user apps to replace the task server.
> If an application wants to create or delete a task you simply send an
> RPC. For L4-HURD I could imagine to have the server sending death-name
> notifications.
Yes, that is the way to go. The question is how a task is actually
terminated. The obvious way is to have a user-level library function
like e.g. _exit() RPC the task server, so that the task server reclaims
the task, right?

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden