NetBSD UVM support in OSKit?

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: NetBSD UVM support in OSKit?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:18:14 +0100 (CET)

Hi Mike,

Roland McGrath mentioned on l4-hurd that a summer student at Utah did an
oskit encapsulation of NetBSD's UVM. AFAIK, its not available in the
OSKit CVS as of Dec. 12, 2001 (probably never officially released?).

The Hurd/L4 porting team would be very interested in a UVM-based L4 pager
that will provide Mach-like vm_*() semantics to OS personalities like
the Hurd. Basically, we need a user-land task that will grab memory
from the main L4 sigma0 pager and hand it out in smaller chunks of
PAGESIZE to clients requesting it. This pager would be accessed by
an IPC protocol of some kind and a convenience VM-library would encap
those IPCs into nice vm_*() functions. In L4, pagefaults are handled
by a pager-thread that each user task can designate. This pager-thread
would somehow IPC the UVM pager to handle the faults.

Roland suggested that we discuss the issue of pager task design. I'm
no expert w.r.t. paging, but willing to learn ;-) Would you be interested
in helping us here?

Thanks,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden