Re: Did I hear you folks might be interested in POSIX threads?

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Did I hear you folks might be interested in POSIX threads?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:32:55 +0100 (CET)

> Actually, being based originally on GNU Pth, it's pretty portable.
> There are very few dependencies on Linux except for one module.
Ugh... Pth is only portable on POSIX-based systems. I can't conceive how
we could port pth-based thread libraries to uKernels like L4. Hmmm....

> > > if you're interested. Most of
> > > the things missing here are hurd and mach specific things as signalling,
> > > stack allaction and some other things. Those things also need to be done
> > > with NGPT.
>
> Are you saying that this stuff is still missing from the kernel?  I certainly
> hope not ;-)  Userlevel stack allocation is handled within NGPT already.
> Looking at the threading interface posted on the Hurd website, I don't think
> it will take much to port NGPT over to Hurd.
Okay, NGPT could be a nice-to-have addition to glibc, but if it were really
added as integral part of the Hurd, the L4/Hurd port would most likely
completely fail. But I didn't examine NGPT in detail, so please don't
take this statement too seriously for now.

> > > AFAIK Roland wants a long-term implementation which is thightly with
> > > glibc, with sysdeps for the Hurd and linux. I don't know if NGPT matches
> > > that requirement.
>
> We're already tightly coupled with glibc (but not in the build itself) and as
> I said earlier, sysdeps for the Hurd should be a snap...

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden