Re: [U]VM subsystem for L4 X.2 (and later)

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: [U]VM subsystem for L4 X.2 (and later)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:04:11 +0100

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 04:10:33PM +0100, Farid Hajji wrote:
> I'm planing to play with OSKit's UVM library a little bit before I start
> coding the uvmserver/L4{X.2}. Right now, I'm still learning how UVM/NetBSD
> works in detail. Since this is a complex piece of code, it will take some
> time ;). I'm using UVMHIST to trace through the code and it's very, very
> instructive!

Just write some good things I can make Rik van Riel shut up with on
IRC. He didn't like the vm code in Mach and keeps talking about that
when I say something about the Hurd in the channel. :))

> > I'm still busy with pthreads, it's making steady progress. I'm feeling
> > me a bit familiar with the glibc code now. Maybe I can write some of
> > the library code needed for L4. If I'm right libhurduser and
> > libmachuser will be splitted out of glibc. Does that mean we need a
> > libl4user?
>
> Probably yes. Because we need to implement Mach functionality as userspace
> L4 tasks+libraries ([u]vmserver, portserver, devices), it seems natural
> at first glance to encapsulate the services provided by those l4 servers
> into libl4user. Hmmm...

I think I'm going to do play with that when I've the time for it. At
least I think I'll port pthreads to L4.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: address@hidden