Re: Design Decisions and Hurd/L4 work (was: Re: Improving Hurd)

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Design Decisions and Hurd/L4 work (was: Re: Improving Hurd)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:55:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Espen,

> [Farid Hajji]
> > 4. Espen is right now coding the Pistachio L4 kernel that will
> >    implement X.2 (and later Version 4) API.
>
> >    Did you really read the X.2 specs? ;-)
>
> Yes.

small misunderstanding: That question was directed towards Atle,
not towards one of the maintainers of the X.2 document :-).

> >    In the meantime, we're using Hazelnut for simple tests and
> >    hacking to get acquainted to L4. The old X.0 (and X.1) APIs
> >    are not as clear as X.2 (V4), but it's better than nothing.
>
> I might add that I am not the only one implementing the Pistachio
> kernel (I want no responibility for bugs that the other people might
> introduce ;-).

ACK.

> That said, I would also like to say that implementation of the X.2 API
> is well underway.  We're currently developing the kernel for multiple
> architectures (ia32, ia64, powerpc, arm).  This, however, does not
> imply that all architectures are equally well supported.  We're mainly
> doing it to get an idea of how well the API suits the various
> architectures (plus kernel portability issues).

> I can not yet give a proper release date for the kernel, though.

Just take your time doing it _right_! We have lots of homework to do
before even touching Pistachio. Right now, I'm trying to get more
acquainted to X.0 API with Hazelnut by doing some memory mappings
across tasks. Basically, I'm trying to write a pmap.c for Hazelnut
to get an idea of what it would take to do it for Pistachio later.
Quite interesting stuff!

>       eSk

Regards,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden