Re: %gs:0 thread pseudoregister in oskit-mach

From: Jan Atle Ramsli
Subject: Re: %gs:0 thread pseudoregister in oskit-mach
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:25:11 +0200

Espen Skoglund wrote:

> %fs in the Win32 ABI points to a per-thread Thread Information
> Block (TIB).  Don't ask me details about exactly what this segment
> contains or how it is used.  I have no idea.  Point is that if we want
> to be compatible with the Win32 ABI we should probably leave %fs
> alone.

Mu Ultra 10 is looking at me with sad eyes, and I try to comfort it:
"I know you have lots more registers than that stupid x86, I don't think
Win32 is going to be such a very strict requirement?"

Is L4 haveing Win32 binary 'compatibility' as a goal?

Or is it just a sort of 'we might try, but if no go, no problem' kind of
thing?

Atle