Re: hurd-l4 VM server

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: hurd-l4 VM server
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 00:12:15 +0200 (CEST)

Hi baux,

>         * VM server based on UVM

Which codebase of uvm are you using?
NetBSD-CURRENT, OpenBSD-CURRENT or (old) OSKit?

>         * I'm near to finish (I think/hope :) ) reimplementation of pmap.c
>                 where substituded i386 direct MMU pages requests with sigma0
>                 ipc pages request.

That's brilliant!

>         * I'm starting with main writing in order to start it user-space

Even if your pmap.c for L4 (X.0/X.2) were not yet ready,
you could always use dummy routines, which operate on
a big chunk of vm_map()ed (or even malloc()ed) memory,
so you could test your user-space implementation in a
more convenient POSIX environment than on bare L4 ;)

>         * I'm thinking (and this is my question) which interface VM server
>                 should have in order to be contacted and used from other HURD
>                 (and others) servers. Should I "simply" code an IDL interface
>                 mapping it 1-1 with uvm_extern.h or you can suggest something
>                 better?

If you really implemented uvm_extern.h on top of L4 X.0
(and later on X.2 when Espen released the C API), we
should probably form a NetBSD/L4 porting team very
soon now... :-)

Seriously though, all that is needed for the Hurd is right
now Mach's VM interface. It _may_ be possible to write some
glue code that relies only on a (quite limited) subset of
uvm_extern.h to implement the [mach_]vm_*() functions.
But if it is not too time consuming, a 1:1 IDL interface to
uvm_extern.h would be convenient anyway...

> Thanks,
> baux

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Management.
http://www.farid-hajji.net/address.html