Re: Kernel Interface Page Dumping Server

From: Espen Skoglund
Subject: Re: Kernel Interface Page Dumping Server
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 11:19:20 +0200

[Marcus Brinkmann]
> [...] I am not sure if there is a real need for our own libl4 or if
> the official one is the one to use.  For now I am doing this for my
> personal gain (learning by doing), and because a lot of the concepts
> I am using in libl4 are directly relevant to glibc hacking that is
> ahead on the road for us.

You should be able to just ust the inline functions in the official
header files.  Also, if you only use the KernelInterface() syscall you
will not need to link with some external library.  The only reason for
needing the libl4 is to patch up references to the syscall stubs
provided in the KIP (or some other page in memory).  For a real
system, this should be taken care of by ld.so (or its equivalent).
That is, the dynamic loader identifies the system call stub addresses
in the KIP and uses these addresses instead of the stub functions in
libl4 (which should be declared as a weak symbols).

        eSk