Re: keeping track of thread ids

From: Daniel Wagner
Subject: Re: keeping track of thread ids
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:34:42 +0200

address@hidden (Niels Möller) writes:

> We need a task-server. This is either a few threads inside the
> root-server address space, or threads in a separate address space
> (which then has to use some root server thread as a proxy for actual
> L4_ThreadControl and L4_SpaceControl system calls).

I was asking this question in the context of the device driver
framework.  I and Peter would like not to introduce unnecessary
dependencies on Hurd services.  But as it seems we need some sort of
protection that only authenticated task access a certain driver.  After
thinking a bit (and Marcus' pushes) it seems natural to use the handle
concept.  So the task server would be also at the party.

Ah yes, something which I haven't understood so far is the
disctinction between a root task and a root server.  Is any thread in
the orignal AS privileged or only one thread?

daniel

ps: I'm working on an update on the documantion about the device driver
framework, which will (hopefully) discuss the problems a bit.