Re: physmem, simple containers

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: physmem, simple containers
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:35:23 +0100

Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> wrote:

: I wanted to put data and code into a single page, if it fits.  Copying it is
: no problem at all!

By saying "single page", do you mean a single fpage? I'm not sure that all
architectures respond too god to having data and insn in the same physical
page.

My test startup code for the PPC platform, including a small self-pager that
gets the real image up and running, is currently 13k.  This does, though,
include functions for simple console output using the L4 kernel interface.
But that code should only be one or two K's.  So I suspect we need at least
a fpage that is 32 Kb (or even bigger) for the startup code + data.

--
Johan Rydberg, Free Software Developer, Sweden
http://rtmk.sf.net | http://www.nongnu.org/guss/