Re: New reference manual

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: New reference manual
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:38:45 +0200

At Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:19:46 +0200,
Espen Skoglund wrote:
> > We do care.  It would be a good idea to take it, convert it and the
> > previous versions to ascii, and compare them using diff.
>
> > Then make a changelog and post it here.  If changes to our code are
> > necessary, provide a patch.
>
> All the semantics or syntax changes, new features, etc. are all listed
> in the revision history of the manual.  Fixes of typos and minor
> structural changes are not listed, however.

This is true, and it is always a good start.  To really find out what
exactly changed, one still has to lookup the actual text changes.  I
used to do eyeball diffs, but automatic processing is much more
reliable.  For this, it would be really great to have the actual
source from which the manual is generated in CVS, but pdftotext worked
ok for me.

Even minor changes can be relevant to us, in particular as we are
tracking Pistachio CVS very closely, and maintain our own API
(extensions) on L4.