Re: wortel error when I boot the system

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: wortel error when I boot the system
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 19:40:43 +0200

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 01:56:51PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Citeren Marco Gerards <address@hidden>:
>
> > You have to add a dummy module a few times.  Just strip physmem and
> > use that several times.
>
> It seems that many people trying to run Hurd-L4 have run into this
> problem (myself included).
>
> Would it make sense to document this?
> If so, I wouldn't mind adding it to the HURD-on-L4 wiki at
> http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/HurdOnL4
>
> Or should we fix this? Perhaps by creating 'real' dummy modules?

One problem is that it isn't very clear yet which modules need to be
specified.  Personally, I would like to have laden, l4, sigma0, wortel,
physmem, task, ramdisk.  The ramdisk should hold the device driver framework,
which can then be booted the "usual" way.  This is possible because the
ramdisk is a filesystem, so the running programs have all they need: a
filesystem, physmem and task.

I hope to finish my task server this weekend, and if noone else has code ready
by that time, it may be good to use it, although I think it can be a lot
better.  By the way, if I need to sign papers about copyright transfer for my
code to be used, it may be a good idea to do that.  What should I do for that?

> Also, is it any use if someone removed the requirement for stripping
> physmem? (looks like a good thing for a newbie-hacker to work on)

The problem is in wortel AFAIK, and wortel is not finished at all yet.  I
think it is not much use fixing it before wortel is "finished", because
otherwise it will only create more work when wortel needs to be changed.

Thanks,
Bas

--
I encourage sending me encrypted e-mail.
Please send the central message of e-mails as plain text in the message body,