Re: Further work on fabrica

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Further work on fabrica
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:17:13 +0200

At Mon, 07 Jun 2004 23:47:02 +0200,
Daniel Wagner wrote:

> Marcus,
>
> I'd like to work a bit on deva because fabrica is quite useless in the
> current shape.  Because I couldn't start working/debugging on the basic
> things like a very simple bootstrap due lacking deva.
>
> After many weeks without any checks-in on the cap front, I guess you
> have finished most staff for cap.  So the last need piece for starting
> on deva is there, right?  Can I use physmem as template for deva
> (mainly the cap stuff)?.

Blech, long time without reply.  Sorry.

Well, the hurd cap server stuff is usable for simple server stuff
(cancellation doesn't work, as probably many other stuff), but there
is no IDL support yet and there is no cap user library.  So, it's
still quite limited.

physmem/container.c is a good example how to write simple server loop
with the current stuff.  it's all hand-written, and that is bad and
stupid of course, but that's all that we have right now, and the best
thing is: it actually works.

This is not good enough for serious work, but we need to get over the
bootstrap hurdle, and for that it will be good enough.

As for deva, well, sure.