Re: Getting Started with Hurd-L4

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Getting Started with Hurd-L4
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:10:41 +0100

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>Sam Mason <address@hidden> wrote:
>You mean using the same container in several parallel RPCs?  I think
>that way lies madness.

I think I was assuming something like scheduler activations (I
think something like this is going to be kind of essential) would
be running in this system and this would allow several operations
to be combined into a single request that would finally get pushed
out to the serving task when enough have been accumulated (generally
when the task's time slice runs out).

>However, we could indicate for each operation
>which window in the container to use for that operation... not sure if
>this will always work well, but there are things you theoretically
>could do here, I think.  Not sure it is really worth it.  I'd just use
>one container per mapped file, I think (if I were to reuse them).

Again, I'm not sure if this sort of thing is at all relevant to L4 at
all.  When I've been thinking about these sorts of things before, I've
always been trying to reduce the amount of IPC to an absolute minimum
but haven't based any of this on any empirical testing.

Cheers,
  Sam