Re: some other memory considerations.

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: some other memory considerations.
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:27:13 +0200

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
At Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:13:56 -0400,
Rian Hunter <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm assuming that the pagers are notified (either by the kernel or in some user protocol) whenever maps are granted to its client, or something like that.

No.  If you need to manage the mapping in any way, then it is entirely
up to you.  Ie, your RPC stub generator could register the mapping, if
there is any use (ie, if it can be reestablished in case it goes
away).  There is no L4-way to inspect the page tables of a task or to
get notified of changes.

I don't think this answers the question.
There is no need for a notification of a mapping, because it doesn't happen unexpectedly. You can only receive mappings (or grants) via an IPC operation. So you must be prepared to receive IPC from the task which maps the memory to you (in case of the Hurd, physmem), and you must have set the "I am prepared to receive mappings"-flag. So you never get a mapping without knowing it.

Thanks,
Bas