Documentation, was: [Re: Questions about copy-on-write]

From: Rian Hunter
Subject: Documentation, was: [Re: Questions about copy-on-write]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:53:15 -0400

Sam Mason wrote:

I've had another read of the documentation and it's proving to
be *very* hard going - sorry to the authors!  I'll see if I can
rewrite it so it makes sense to me.  It's basically the paragraphs
following the start of the "Containers" section up until the "The
Container Interface" subsection.
If the documentation (hurd-on-l4.tex) looks confusing to you, and you're struggling to understand it, I usually find it easier to wait for a beginning implementation and then following the code. If you don't have much experience with VM, L4, IPC security, or even microkernel methods and constraints it will be very hard to follow in one sitting.

So if you are trying to understand how HURD-L4 works, you also have to realize that the documentation isn't dogma and ideas are still being intensely examined and straightened out. To me at least, it would be better to get just a general understanding of how it works and see how the author actually implements this to see and understand all the nitty-gritty details, then comment or patch that code or ask questions about why it does this or why it does that.

A good example is the current capability library. Since it isn't very complicated, it's much easier to browse through and actually see what is going on than trying to work out a new implementation in your head from the description.

What i'm trying to say is that it seems to me that the best way to understand software is to simultaneously look at the documentation/comments and code to find incongruencies or clarifications.

**DISCLAIMER** I am not promoting not reading the documentation. I am not promoting not thinking of better or newer implementations. I am not saying that the author of the documentation (Marcus) should do all the beginning work.

thanks
-rian