Re: sleep in laden's shutdown

From: Simon Kagstrom
Subject: Re: sleep in laden's shutdown
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:25:38 +0100

On 2005-02-01, 20:27, Glen Kaukola wrote:
> Hi there.
> My previous attempt was to use a bios call, but for some reason it
> didn't work out too well.  Just wondering if anyone can tell me why the
> following didn't work:
>
>         pushl   %edx
>         pushl   %eax
>         movw    $0, %cx
>         movw    $0, %dx
>         movb    $0x86, %ah
>         int     $0x15

I'm not sure about this, but %cx:%dx should contain the delay period, which is
zero in this case. Does it sleep infinitely or not at all? What happens with
some non-zero value in %cx:%dx?

The carry flag and %ah should give you the status of the call.

Finally a use for that ancient DOS assembly book ;-)

// Simon