Re: libl4 test cases

From: B. Douglas Hilton
Subject: Re: libl4 test cases
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 05:03:15 -0500

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

Currently, the test suite only compiles on ia32.  Support for other
arches can be added.  Things like word sizes, endianess, and arch
extensions make it necessary I think to "port" the test suite and test
it on each platform individually.  I don't think it is a big problem.
Marcus, with all the hubbub about this spiffy new IBM Cell Processor, how do we stand with support on PowerPC architecture. Whipping out my crystal ball, I see the PS/3 as a realistically viable platform for L4/Hurd experimentation. The fixed hardware would somewhat simplify driver issues, and the PowerPC / Cell combinations seems unusually suitable for L4/Hurd. And
best of all, a PS/3 should be an affordable commodity for almost everybody.

I was browsing the L4Ka site earlier, and they have listed but not linked the PowerPC/64 architecture as being either supported or under development. Assuming that the L4 kernel is made to run on Cell, what are issues and challenges to making L4/Hurd also work?