Re: Hurdish applications for persistence

From: ness
Subject: Re: Hurdish applications for persistence
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:44:57 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
   Well, if so, why do we even implement parts of POSIX?

Because parts of POSIX make sense, some parts don't.  Why should we
come up with our own variant of printf()?  Other parts make less
sense, like getopt, which is a pita to use compared to argp (a GNU
specific extention), should we not use argp just because `POSIX
doesn't have it?'?  That is silly, don't you agree?

POSIX exists so that if you use something that POSIX documents, this
something will work the same way on all platforms.  It does _NOT_
exists so that you're not allowed to use system specific hacks.

Right. We can give the users more then POSIX. But not less. We don't remove getopt, even if we use argp.

--
-ness-