RE: The Perils of Pluggability

From: Christopher Nelson
Subject: RE: The Perils of Pluggability
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:30:54 -0600

>    Also, deliberately hostile viruses that simply soak up all
>    available processor time and make the machine nearly unusable don't
>    count either.
>
> setrlimit(), and you have solved your problem.
>
> Your example of DoS costing companies money have nothing to
> do with the Hurd.  If they want some finer control of what
> happens, then they can implement it themselfs.

I will admit that the Hurd cannot do anything about physical line
saturation.  But if you have a rogue process on the local machine that
is eating up resources deliberately, then the OS should do something.
Is setrlimit() called automatically by the parent process when creating
a child?  If not, how do you expect someone who doesn't know it exists
to use it?

I suppose that you really must decide who your target audience is.  Who
are YOU aiming the Hurd at?

-={C}=-