Re: setuid vs. EROS constructor

From: Jun Inoue
Subject: Re: setuid vs. EROS constructor
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:23:11 -0700

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:43:30 -0700
Jun Inoue <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:38:10 -0400
> "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I found Bas's note stunning, because I did not expect anyone to connect
> > the dots about setuid vs. confinement so quickly. It is a point that
> > usually requires several explanations. Indeed, setuid is not required at
> > all in a capability system. The only thing that Bas missed is that if
> > you have persistence you do not need a constructor server.
>
> Do you mean we can run a "constructor process" indefinitely as a
> translator?  For example if I compile a program foo, which needs my
> capability bar, and make it accessible to everyone as /pub/jun/foo, I
> would do:
>
> run-with-cap bar /pub/jun/foo-constructor
>
> Then I get a capability to an idle process, the foo constructor.  Let's
> call it P.  I do:
>
> settrans --active --persistent /pub/jun/foo P
>
> Then P runs indefinitely as the active translator for node /pub/jun/foo.
> Later, whenever someone types /pub/jun/foo, the process denoted by P
> would spawn() the image (or fork() if foo-constructor contains an image
> of foo), passing bar to it.  Thus, /pub/jun/foo will effectively be
> setcap'ed, without the need for a central server.
>
> But this scheme doesn't seem to leave room for others to verify
> if /pub/jun/foo would leak additional capabilities given to it.  How is
> the verification done on EROS?  Is it exact or conservative; ie can it
> have false positives?

Forget that question, I misunderstood what was being verified.

Ensuring the inexistence of capabilities to suspicious channels is
pretty straitforward.  Only the inspection must be done by a trusted
component.  But that brings me back to your statement: constructor
server is unnecessary if we have persistence...or, um wait, I'll shut
up.  Probably Bas meant exactly what I described by "constructor
server".  I guess I just made a fool out of myself here, sorry.

--
Jun Inoue