Re: Why COPY != SIMULATED COPY

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Why COPY != SIMULATED COPY
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:42:27 -0400

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 22:35 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > There has been other discussions about "selective revocation" in
> > UNMAP; not to be confused with "selective revocation" as discussed
> > above.
>
> Right, there is that, too.  We are in the dangerous zone of overloaded
> terminology here.

Yes. This term was not my invention. It is a very old term in the
literature. If the L4 community bothered to read the relevant
literature, these unnecessary term collisions would occur less
frequently. In this case, it is L4 that must change, and the term
"filtered revocation" would be more informally descriptive and avoid
term collision.

It would also be nice if they *cited* the relevant literature
occasionally...