Insightful Comment from Slashdot Minix3 Discussion

From: B. Douglas Hilton
Subject: Insightful Comment from Slashdot Minix3 Discussion
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:27:15 -0400

One of the QNX developers made this interesting comment on the recent
Slashdot discussion concerning Minix3:

    The key to microkernel design is getting scheduling and interprocess
    communication absolutely right. Get scheduling order,
    scheduling/messaging interaction, scheduling/cache interaction, or
    interrupt lockout time wrong, and your microkernel will be useless.
    None of this shows at the API level, yet it's crucial. It's almost
    impossible to fix this later.

I consider this some positive advice for you all, because the L4/Hurd
team seems particularly involved with these issues, and has been for
some time now. I consider myself more of a higher-level type developer,
so I am waiting in the wings while you guys hack out the low-level stuff.

Anyways, cheers!