Re: POSIX Layer / Emulation

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: POSIX Layer / Emulation
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:32:40 +0200

   AMS said that EMACS is a example that software that could be
   problematic to port to this new design, but on
   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ has systems that are not
   implementations of POSIX, like MS DOS.

Emacs runs in a POSIX enviroment on MS-DOG if I recall correctly (it
uses DJGPP which emulates large parts of POSIX or so), same deal for
the Windows port.

   I am not able to see how hard is implement a layer (or an emulator)
   to support legacy POSIX programs on the detriment of a POSIX system
   that has almost no techinical advantage. I am not saying that he is
   wrong, but I am not undertanding Alfred's point of view.

What you are saying more or less is that GNU programs (existing ones)
shouldn't run nativley on the GNU system, don't you find that a bit
silly/weird/strange/etc?